RE: [school-discuss] Live CD: DIY vs. Distribution

Regarding using LiveCds in class, I've had great luck with Knoppix. Though, for specific activities, I've also used Helix, Back Track, and a variety of other LiveCDs.

For one of their assignments, I have my students compare and contrast several LiveCD distributions. Better student present their chosen distributions to the class. DSL, Slax, and a variety of other distributions seem popular for this assignment.

As a project, I have the students create a (remastered) custom version of Knoppix. Through trial and error, we've found that Kyle Rankins "Knoppix Hacks" offers a good guide to the remastering process. Though for possible future use, I'm also looking at Chris Negus's "Live Linux CDs".

While I wouldn't consider Knoppix remastering a Guru level activity, I wouldn't consider it a novice level activity either...

For a novice, something like MySlax Creator would be much more appropriate. To create a custom version of Slax, you run the Creator in Windows like a wizard. My student that presented this called it "Custom Live Linux CDs for people that like Windows." You can find the Creator at:

http://myslax.bonsonno.org/download.php

Best of luck,
Uno

> Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:42:11 -0300
> From: synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Live CD: DIY vs. Distribution
> To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:34:54 -0400
> Chris Gregan <cgregan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I whole heartedly agree. In-fact I recently read an article in this
> > month's Linux Format about this very topic, and I think it could help
> > out greatly with the creation of a Schoolforge specific live distro.
>
> The problem I see with "Schoolforge specific" is that the Schoolforge
> mandate is rather broad, so that a very general live CD with broad appeal
> would be rather a chore to make. What I had in mind was that you could
> each make a live CD on demand that met your own various requirements
> without any large scale coordination or reuse by more than the people
> in your own various projects.
>
> > It looks very user friendly from a GUI standpoint, and
> > would allow for a lot of flexibility in creating a top notch educational
> > disk.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention that there is now a 'live-magic' GUI tool for
> creating debian-live CDs too, though I have not yet used it, myself,
> being a die-hard command-line kind of guy. :)
>
> Ben
> --
> ,-. nSLUG http://www.nslug.ns.ca synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> \`' Debian http://www.debian.org synrg@xxxxxxxxxx
> ` [ gpg 395C F3A4 35D3 D247 1387 2D9E 5A94 F3CA 0B27 13C8 ]
> [ pgp 7F DA 09 4B BA 2C 0D E0 1B B1 31 ED C6 A9 39 4F ]

Gear up for Halo® 3 and get a $25 Best Buy gift card. It’s our way of saying thanks for using Windows Live™. Get it now!