Re: The Kernel

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Roger R Dingledine wrote:

> They will want to upgrade -- to a later version of the SEUL kernel. I claim
> we can afford to modify our kernel however we like, as long as we know what
> we're doing. Yes, it would be useful to be able to undo the patches, and yes,
> it would be useful to be able to add new patches. But for most SEUL users,
> they will take the kernel we give them, and that will be that. Let's give them
> the best kernel we can.

You've got it mixed up here, that ISN'T our job.  WE are NOT the kernel
developers, and once we start doing this sort of stuff it's not Linux any
more.  We give the customer the OFFICIAL kernel, we have no right to hack
it, and add more hacks, and eventually create an entirely different and
incompatible Linux.  Same thing happened with UNIX, sure we want to do
that to Linux?  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
    To err is human.  To forgive is against company policy.