Re: The Distribution

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> > He has a valid point here, I think.  Reguardless of Debians next
> > version, we should be getting Linux core together.  Linux core is
> > independant of the dist anyway.
> It's based on Debian.  We do not have the time nor the resources to start
> from scratch, as some have suggested, for SEUL, nor can we for the Core.
[...]
I agree that it's a good idea to wait for 2.0 before
putting together the core or our distribution.

But I think we can and should start collecting items
which should or could go into the core once 2.0 is out.
(Collecting them here on this list that is).

What packages should be installed on every Linux box
ideally ?

E.g.:
- perl, python, guile, tcl, ...
- text package
- smail (was it this one ?)
- gettext

What else ?

Maybe (I'm not sure about these):
- ssh, rcs, cvs

core-gui: (should be discussed on dev-ui ?)
- X11R6
- Tk
- Gdk/Gtk/Gtk--
- probably some other GUI toolkits ...