Windmanagers

  I took a look at the latest version of WindowMaker, which is a window manager
that emulates the OpenStep window manager.  As far as I can see, and I've been
using it heavily for a few days, is that it is quite stable and good looking.
It is quite a resource hog, takes 64 colors of the machine, which is quite a
lot when you have an 8-bit deep color display.

  I've seen one problem with it, the current version, and that is when you
change workspace and your mouse happens to be within a window when the new
workspace comes up.  It will give that window focus, but not keyboard focus.
You'll have to move the mouse outside the windows border and back in again to
get the keyboard focus.

  But to me, this Window manager looks like something that could be used as a
backbone in a suite.  It has a pretty simple 'style' setup scheme, that one can
easily make a GUI wrapper program around to give a friendly setup.  With fvwm2
there is the dotfile generator, but I don't find it nice... and would think a
tool similar to 'kcmdisplay' in KDE a lot nicer.  With this window manager, I
think such a tool could be converted with minimum of effort.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194