Re: [seul-edu] RE: X-terminals

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> I have a lab full of old but good IBM PS/2 286 workstations that will soon
> be gracing a local landfill. Has anyone tried using these as LINUX
> terminals? Will they handle running as X-terminals? I hate to see working
> computers thrown away.

Greetings Jay,

Worst case would be to use the '286 as a telnet terminal (assuming you can find
the proper NIC) or direct connect terminal.  I've looked into the cliq suite of
software for the "sacred three" applications.  Certainly there are a number of
non-GUI programs to use which make these a viable terminal.

Worst case, I've seen an emulator for the AT&T 5620 terminal which ran under
DOS.  I have no idea if or where it may be found, but the old 5620 was a neat
graphic terminal.

Shoot, another idea... I've got a couple of AT&T 3B2 systems which could act as
a gateway betwixt your 286 systems and your ultimate Linux server...  :-)

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
		jeff.williams@cuw.edu