Re: [seul-edu] Re: Unified Front...

On Thursday 25 April 2002 11:06, Stephen C. Daukas wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> I have to agree with Alan and Michael.  While I think a simple,
> self-contained educational ISO is a great place to start (and we still
> haven't defined that content yet), I believe you must eventually make "the
> whole Linux thing" easy to deploy and run to win the hearts and minds of
> everyone in education.
>
> However, we do need a stake in the ground if we are to make any
> progress.  I think a simple offering that can be dropped onto an existing
> distro is something than can be done without too much heavy lifting...  It
> sounds like there is stuff in the pipe (according previous posts), which
> needs a little attention, that could be put into an ISO.  This could be
> distributed in a similar way to Red Hat's once-upon-a-time Power Tools CD,
> and we might get a lot of other contrib if we put the word out.  We might
> even get a lot of help with initial deployment from those groups mentioned
> by Tom that could help get us to the next step.  I would still hope that a
> vendor would pick-up on the ISO and run with it...
>
> Once we know what we need for education (i.e., once the ISO's content is
> defined), we can move on from there!
>
> Steve

Hi:  I have set the "try to get informational interviews" thingy aside [as an
outsider, my requests, I am sad to report, have gone unanswered from school
principals - must have been a bad idea], and am now working with two fellows
that understand the tech end, to put a "starting block" demo in place.  We
have a server and one, maybe two x-terminals as our starting point.  We are
thinking, today, about whether the server will be Debian, or Slackware.  Any
consensus out there, yet?  The hesitation I have about the RH approach, is
that I have the feeling that their "support" package is significantly higher
than we might arrange for, with some other distributions?  In other words, I
think there was talk at some point, that the networks would somehow be tied
directly to RH "in house".  Much along the lines of an ASP setup.  Anyone
know, what the situation is at this time?
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/