Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 02:02:15PM -0400, Matt Jezorek wrote:
> I have looked a bit into extending Debian Jr mostly what I was going to be
> droping this onto is a secure distro I have been working on. This will help
> limit users what they can or can not do . Even though these will be used by
> kids mostly . Kids are very strong on computers these days. But I dont know
> if a security enchanced version is needed. We are talking ACL and other
> security features. Are they needed? Not sure, I will continue to look into
> all this

ACL's are not an education-specific need.  If it's generally beneficial,
why shouldn't it go into Debian proper?  If there's some sort of
obstruction to doing that (license, cumbersome packaging, whatever) then
consider having the "distro" merely be some enhancements to Debian
itself with the rest being an apt-gettable archive of the "other stuff"
that for whatever reason cannot go into Debian itself.

So, for example, if you want to do a reiserfs-based install, there is a
site out there with custom boot floppies for that.  Properly it belongs
in Debian itself, but for the time being, if you want to do it, someone
has already solved that problem.  All without forking an entirely new
distro.

Ben