Re: [seul-edu] Grade input software

This IS NOT a plug!

* Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY (bill@mail.tasis.ch) [991210]:%y32Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 05:07:43PM +0100]:
> I have started planning the interface to simplify the
> grade input into our school database.  However, the
> headmaster thinks that 6 computers isn't enough for all
> 40 faculty to enter the grades and wants the new
> interface to work on people's laptops and on the
> network.  I thought a little cgi would be the easiest
> way to do this, but that won't work if I have to have it
> run independantly on people's home computers.

A few years ago, my friends and I created such a thing for a local
school in Finland. What it does is helps in the maintenance of a
highly customized curriculum and serves as a system for storing
students grades and following their progress. It was able to create
all kinds of nice graphs etc. at the same time.

We used Java to create the whole thing, with a database in the
back. Looking back at it, much of the functionality could hace been
created with JavaScript and PHP with a MySQL database. If you do not
need high interactivity, use scripting to do it, since it will be much
lighter. Later on you can add applets etc. to create all kinds of fun
stuff from the info in the database if needed.

> Any ideas on how to solve this?  Perl/TK, Python/TK,
> Java, Oracle 8i light -- any other ideas?  The worse
> part is how will I handle spell checking on the variety
> of platforms?  (It will need to run on Macs and Windows
> of many various ages).

If it runs in the browser, you can then use the ideas that where
presented for spell-checking email messages if needed. The browser
would also present a uniform UI according to the platforms
standards. Java is a nother good option.

I would definetly say that the whole thing should store all the info
in ONE place, otherwise you'll have to deal with all kinds of
problems. This could be a good chance for an OS project for SEUL to
develop, something like this would also be good to market. Naturally
it doesn't help Linux on the desktop, but it does in the server
environment.

ramin
--
Ramin Miraftabi                         Student of Computer Science
email: ramin@cs.joensuu.fi              University of Joensuu

    - GPG public key ID 49C9CFF7 -- (c) Copyright 1999 -

		 Homepages *finally* updated!