Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: College]

* Doug Loss (dloss@suscom.net) [991211]:%y34Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 03:14:15PM -0500]:
> I got the following message from a professor at Northern Michigan
> University.  This isn't exactly the niche in the Linux ecosystem we've
> taken for our own, but I don't know of anyone else who's working on
> Linux higher-education advocacy.  If anyone has any suggestions for him,
> I'd appreciate it if you'd send them along to both the list and to him.
> This may also be something for the advocacy task group to discuss on
> their mailing list (hint, hint).

Ah, it's the niche I've been waiting for. I'd say that as long as
there isn't a major group of people thinking of using Linux in
University education, SEUL/edu could be accomodated with the
discussion. Then if there are enough, set up a Task Group for the
University interests. In any case the majority of discussions of
software and educational content apply to all levels of
education. And, in many cases even the programs can be used in ways
that would benefit all levels of education.

To Randy especially, as you can see, I'm still a student, but have
been a member of our departments faculty as a teching assistant and am
working on my M.Sc. thesis on Copmuter Aided Instruction in Computer
Science Education, especially the use of intelligent agents in
animation aided problem solving. Ideas on how to increase the use of
Linux in any school will be beneficial to the list, and we could
probably speak of the various ways on how to promote its use in
environments which already use Linux a lot. My department has
dual-boot machines for all computers used by the students and most of
the faculty uses Linux or Unix primarily (and even Macs more than
Windows ;).

ramin

P.S. Something the doc group could think of (something that has been
on my drawing board for too long) is how to start using a basic
GNOME/KDE installation (login, do this, do that etc.)
--
Ramin Miraftabi                         Student of Computer Science
email: ramin@cs.joensuu.fi              University of Joensuu

    - GPG public key ID 49C9CFF7 -- (c) Copyright 1999 -

		 Homepages *finally* updated!