New project? Valdivia? Genius? (Calculator)

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 12:58:03PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> I'll second that.  Kevin, do you want Valdivia to be listed on the
> seul-edu projects page?

Well, it looks like we're pooling enough interest and knowledge-base
here for it to be worthwhile to have it on the projects page.  If
nothing else, it'll let anyone else who comes along with similar needs
know that "Yes, there are other people who are thinking about this too."

I'm just not sure what direction this will take.  I took another look at
genius (it had changed a bit from the version I had laying around), and
the author's (George) ideas for it in the future.  I chatted with him a
bit, and he said that matricies and vector types "aren't finished yet,
but it should not be too hard to add."  As for numerical/statistical
routines, their status is listed as not done yet, but a few already in
place.

So genius is cool and even will do our statistics for us, when it
matures sufficiently.  But we were worried about graphing too...  He
genius assures me that the engine is seperated enough from the front-end
that we should be able to add whatever we like there.

So what all this sounds like to me is that helping genius along would be
much preferrable to reinventing it all...  But what do we put on the
projects list?  George isn't on the list here, and his energy is
directed towards other places in gnome these days.  I feel a little odd
putting my name on the project, since I don't maintain genius.  I could
offer to take on the development of genius, but that'd be a bit silly,
as I can't promise (at the moment) any steady energy investment in
producing lines of code myself.

So if you can figure out a politically correct way to list it ("Kevin is
the Valdivia project leader, talk to him and he'll refer you to the guy who
actually has code for Genius"?), feel free...

My.  This all seems a bit silly.  Perhaps I'm just making life difficult
for myself today.
-Kevin