Re: [seul-edu] New member of the seul-edu ML

Thomas Temp? wrote:

> I had a look on the Seul website. There is a description for QVocab. It's not what I'm looking for now, although it might be a good idea to implement a way of sharing dictionary files at a later time.
> I found nothing about Lingo Teach or Zope. Can anyone point me to those projects?

LingoTeach is linked to from the SEUL/edu projects page.  It's URL is
<http://lingoteach.xnot.com>.  Zope is independent of SEUL/edu.  It's
URL is <http://www.zope.org>.

> Regarding EduML: I had overheared that it was aimed at handling students databases/records, not educational content. So I just stopped investigating. Am I wrong?

Partially.  EduML was intended (Bruno, correct me where I make mistakes)
to be able to handle all types of educational information, including
students' performance levels, questions for tests/quizzes, snippets of
code to be used in presenting the questions, etc.

> Regarding programming languages: we _have_ to use Borland Delphy(c) for at least part of the project. That will be the client GUI. The client is kept simple, for easier porting. Uh... I meant re-writing. Delphi w/ Win32 GUI is not portable.

I believe that Delphi was/is being ported to Linux, if that makes
anything easier for you.  I don't know any more about it than that.

> For the server, I was thinking about C or C++. It's the one most adapted language among those I know (I don't know Java). The other person working with me on the server wanted to do Pascal, so we might end up with C and GNU Pascal.

Pascal isn't a heavily used language in the Linux community.  If you'd
like eventually to have others sign on to your project to help with its
development, you might consider perl or python instead.  Having said
that, the most important thing is to use what you're comfortable and
proficient in.

> About the website: now exactly 24 hours later, the translation of the english ontroduction to the project is over (whooh.. it's getting late!). I also fixed the problem with the changelog link.

Thanks!  We'll take a look at this and put up our comments.  (It will
take me a while to get to it, as this is my first day back at work after
a three-day weekend).