Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

Jeffrey Elkner wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have a student who has been working on a grade book
> program for his independent study project this year.  He has been studying GTK,
> glade, Python, wxWindows, and a few other things trying to get a handle on how
> to approach this problem.  He has recently started looking at XML.  He is a
> very talented student, but even so the entry points into much of this
> technology is quite daunting.

Jeff - I'd be happy to have your student help with this - he probably
knows more than I do at this point.  I may have jumped the gun, though,
because as soon as I whispered "gradebook" everyone got all excited.
:-)

I would like to keep working until I get something going that at least
parses information out of an XML file and builds cleanly.  At that
point, I'll probably be ready for some help...

I'm just speaking for myself, though, and I'm not the "official
gradebook coordinator" or anything... I just seem to talk too much in
this forum about my vague programming goals.  :)

Other people are talking about a python/zope interface, and perhaps they
should run with that... I think it'd be great, and in theory, the XML
data files will be interchangeable.

I'm personally reluctant to switch to python on "my" project, though,
because then I will most likely _never_ get off the ground.  (Hard to
get started on a project when every component is an unknown...)

So anyway, I'd be happy to have some help, as soon as there's something
to help with.

-Eric