Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Debian-kids goals (draft)]: cartoon characters

Hi everybody,
My name's Philippe and I've been following your discussion for a while.
I'm in charge of developping a special Mandrake distro for Education.
point we could discuss another time.

Now that I've introduced myself, let me share a few things about this
great idea. The copyright laws are not the same everywhere. For example,
in France the rights are "falling into the public domain" (that's the
best translation I could find) 70 years after the death of creator, the
rights being transfered to his/her heirs. The producer also has some
rights that I don't know much about.
Creating a database with "open source pictures" seems to be a very
efficient way to create a pool of images for future developpers that
would also add their new pictures to the database. This would create a
great effect of leverage, multiplying very fastly the available pictures
and toons. The only major point that I see would be to have a special
licence on these pictures. This licence should a picture GPL like where
creators abandon their financial rights on the character. An important
point is that this licence should still, in my view, require to get the
approval of the creators for it's use. Imagine just a second Tux being
used in an "adult only" programm! This would ruin all your efforts to
use him for educational purpose.

Concerning the use of commercial toons, I don't think companies like
Disney who are living of their characters would ever authorize their
free use. If anyone wants to contact them to ask about using some
characters, he'd better have the new licence's text (written down) with
him if he only wants to stand a 1/10000000 chance to be listened to.

Here's what I wanted to share.
I hope you'll find it interesting; have a good day

--
Philippe AMBON
MandrakeSoft			 	(°-