Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Debian-kids goals (draft)]: cartoon characters

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> It's complicated. For an overview, take a look at the copyright guidelines
> of Project Gutenberg

Speaking of Gutenberg, it occurs to me that since Project Gutenberg has
already transcribed texts of many of the same books from which we might
want to lift images, that perhaps we should contact them if we're serious
about starting an image repository.  Perhaps this would be welcomed as a
subproject of Gutenberg.

In fact, this is likely such an unoriginal idea that I wonder if they
haven't discussed it already.  It would be interesting to comb their
archives and find if they have.

A very shallow search of the Gutenberg site turned up this entry:

                          AUTHOR: Tenniel, John, Sir, 1820-1914
                             AKA:
                     ADD. AUTHOR:
                           TITLE: Tenniel Illustrations for Alice in Wonderland
                         SUBJECT: Children's literature --
                       LOC CLASS: PZ --
                           NOTES: GIF files
                        LANGUAGE: English  -
                        DOWNLOAD:

                               algif10.zip - 730 KB

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/etext94/algif10.zip

The key is to search for "illustrations" in the title.  This was not
at first apparent to me.  I was looking for keywords in the "Notes"
field, thinking perhaps illustrations would be included with the etexts
themselves.  Apparently some PDF versions do contain cover art, but
collections of images are entered in under a seperate title.

Still, "illustrations" only turned up two matches, so it seems that there
is much work to be done in this area (unless they're hiding the images
somewhere and my search strategy just sucks ;)

Anyway, before we re-invent the wheel, an exhaustive search should be done
to determine if there aren't already "free image" projects out there that
meet our needs.  I'm beginning to poke through my favourite portals to see
what I can find.  I'll post anything else that turns up.

Ben