Re: [seul-edu] Linux, Open-Source Software, Robots, and Education

On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, Keith O'Hara wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on this list had any experience with
> robots in the
> classroom and if so would be interested in using robots and
> linux in the classroom.

Well, I haven't, but I remember that I promoted a robotic
website in one of the Linux in education reports.
Unfortunately, I don't remember which one.  Of course, I
recommend reading through _all_ of them on a regular basis, so
you can find the link.  Anyway, here's a URL for the LinAXE
Project <http://Linaxe.sourceforge.net/>, "an Open Source
project to further develop "tiny" or embedded versions of Linux
and Real Time Linux Operating Systems for use in Robots and
Autonomous Machinery."  I hope it's helpful.

> I am a junior computer science student at Rowan University in
> NJ.  I am involved in a
> couple projects at Rowan, but they all have a common goal, to
> provide inexpensive
> robot capabilities for use in the educational setting
> utilizing open-source
> technologies, whoo, that is a long one :)

You might also want to look at Acroname
<http://www.acroname.com> for some of their parts.  They have a
nice inexpensive robot kit that uses a Palm Pilot for its
brains, along with a fair amount of useful hardware.

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.