Re: Linux article

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Bradley Burnside wrote:

> Just curious...what kind of things do you teach on the network?
> Programming, teaching the OS, word processing?  How easy has it been to get
> some kids to accept a different operating system?

Our network is really still in the infant stages. It's finally to the
point that I can begin letting kids work on it with me. In addition to
providing a place where students can type papers and such, I'll have kids
doing some programming, 3D graphics (Blender), Scilab, and anything else
they'd like to try. I hope to get a group of students who would be
interested in learning a bit about network administration.

So far I haven't had any problems with the kids using Linux. I use IceWM
and its Win95 theme so most kids know what to do without any trouble. I
need to do some more work to lock down the 'student' account so that they
can't screw something up. I'm using a generic 'student' login because I
don't want to administer hundreds of passwords.

I've learned a lot in this whole process--especially considering that I
installed Linux for the first time in March 1998. I have high hopes that
we'll be able to use this lab and our network very productively here.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your