Re: My ideas may not be compatible with yours but...

Doug Loss wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:58:59 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Doug Loss wrote:
> >
> >> But you do have a problem recruiting volunteers and I'm one of those people you'd
> > like to recruit so shouldn't you be trying to accomodate my feelings?
> >
> I haven't been trying to alienate you, Roman.  I certainly hope you'll stay
> around and continue sharing your views with the rest of us.  Folks, Roman is
> one of those I alluded to in an earlier message whom I specifically asked to
> join seul-edu.  Of course, I didn't then realize how lively our discussions
> would become :-).  Roman has valuable insights that I think can help us in our
> goal of fostering Linux applications in education.  His enthusiasm is
> certainly evident.

:-)

> At the same time, Roman, many of the folks here have different ideas and needs
> than you or I do, and we need to be mindful of that.  I think a respectful
> dialog that incorporates all views of a subject can enrich us all much more
> than a lock-step in any direction.  That's why, while all the software we're
> developing is likely to be open source (at the moment it all is), I personally
> am not averse to finding and promoting commercial educational programs that run
> on Linux.  In fact, I wrote a HOWTO on how to advocate ports of commercial
> programs to Linux.

:-) This can be arranged but their needs to be concrete evidence of a market! People like
me need to prepare the foundations to ease publishers' transition to an unknown,
high-risk and alien marketplace.

> One of my fondest wishes is that we become so successful at what we're
> attempting that the need for seul-edu disappears as consideration for Linux in
> education becomes second nature to educators around the world.  This can't
> happen unless we explore all avenues open to us.  Roman has opened yet another
> avenue to us, and we need to see where it leads.  But that doesn't mean we
> should abandon the paths we're already on.

seul-edu shouldn't disappear - if you are successful then educators around the world will
still need an environment to get-together. Technology and teaching methods change -
there'll always be a need for new software.

I've never suggested that you abandon paths - just add to them.

For instance, if you think that I have valid points then can't I get together with
like-minded people with our own webspace and way of doing things? I think that could
produce interesting things that all parties could observe. Everyone should be happy with
that. I sent you a brief idea of what I think I could do within your framework - couldn't
this be a subset of what you're doing? It wouldn't harm the others but could there could
be valuable lessons to learn from that on both sides - especially mine in fact.

As I said before, my manner's evidently too forceful for the community which has grown
here and that's led to communication problems whilst expressing our differing way of
approaching things.

And lastly, off the subject, is there anyone here that really knows their stuff with
regards to Logo? If yes, let's talk logo and empowering teachers and students to create
their own educational software....

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings I never mean to - everyone has very thick skins
where I come from and I should think that I need to be more sensitive with people I don't
know. So there's a lesson that I can learn from you.

All the best and keep up the good work,

Roman.