Re: compact distributions for old equipment

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 07:11 PM 7/5/99 -0400, Rob Bellville wrote [in part]:
> >>If you could give me a better idea of what a set of apps might be -- or if
> >>you can't and do repost this to the list, if someone else can -- I'll take a
> >>closer look at how feasible running them on an old, limited host might be.
> >
> >Initially I'd like to see tutorial applications like basic math, word flash
> >cards, simple sorts of basic programs. Most of these machines will probably
> >be used for students in the special ed rooms who need additional help with
> >the basics. Initially, I'd like to start off in the elementary levels
> >(grades 1-5)
>
> This sounds promising, but as I said in prior postings, I don't know much
> about specific apps available for these purposes. If someone could suggest a
> set of, say, a half-dozen *specific* applications, I'd be happy to try
> setting up a low-end system to run them.

I don't think there are any that fit the bill unfortunately. Or at least if there
are they're probably the work of parents out there who haven't published them.

But you hum it and I'll develop it.

I suppose one app. would be a web browser but they tend to be hogs on resources so
that's probably out.

Maybe one way forward is to setup possible configurations for these machines and
see how much spare ram is left. That'd give us programmers something to work
from/bear in mind when developing.

It's at times like this I wish I hadn't thrown out those old 486s.

Roman.