Re: Promath

thi wrote:

> "Odile Bénassy" <obenassy@magic.fr> writes:
>
> > yet I am still worried with math printing on the screen : I find nothing
> > really satisfactory...
>
> presumably the mathematical expression is stored in some tree-like
> internal form.  probably path of least resistence is to transform it to
> something latex understands and then use latex for layout.  (note that
> tex was originally developed for laying out mathematical expressions,
> among other reasons.)  the output, in dvi format, can then be rendered
> to ps, gif, etc.

first :
oh yes, latex is excellent
and besides it is very easy to edit, even for "normal teachers" (the
ones who have no computing skills...)
but : how do you have tex printed on a browser ?

second :
with editor/browser Amaya you can edit math in MathML, but I don't see
anything like some java-enabling on it, and for Promath this does not
permit any client programming

third :
MINSE (www.lfw.org/math, but this link doesn't work just now) was
promising, because you could use it on any browser and it resulted in a
beautiful design
but it is not a free software, and his author, Ka-Ping Yee (was
"ping@lfw.org") doesn't answer any longer to me :-(

> a google search on "embedded latex" shows some promising links.

that's right
yet do you know what an "image capable browser" is ?
(because I cannot view any embedded latex images with mine,
Netscape-communicator-4.08-3)

--
Odile Bénassy,
"http://perso.magic.fr/obenassy"