Re: [seul-edu] ISO progress

Responding to my own post (yeah, I know, bad form, but ... )

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:34:10PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> We're saying "this is fit for use in
> education and we know this because teachers are out there using it" but not
> "this is fit for use for X, Y and Z" because we don't collect that kind of
> info.  Nor can I imagine it would be an easy task to run down the list of
> possible needs for every particular kind of software for which multiple
> choices exist and come up with a matrix for each package of how well it
> addresses each point.  But if you'd like to spearhead a project to produce
> such a matrix, more power to ya. :)

On later reflection, I recalled that we do have something that partially
fills this need:

	http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulreview.pl

Users can use these reviews to help them choose what to try first.  But here
we have a slight chicken-and-egg problem.  Until you get the software out to
the users, you don't have anyone to write reviews.  Now we're giving them a
head start by saying "here's our 'best of' list to choose from on this CD".
I hope after the first SEUL/edu CD releases, we'll attract more reviewers to
this site, helping us to refine our choices in the next release.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org