Re: [seul-edu] Apache Question

> I have an Apache question and I don't know how to look
> up the solution.  The problem is that I want to allow
> via a web interface students to be able to share files
> in:
> 	/home/user/public/shared
> however, Apache says permission denied.  However, if I
> ask to look at:
> 	/home/usre/public/shared/test.txt
> then everything works fine.
>
> I turned on indexes.  I thought that should fix it, but
> it hasn't.  So I don't even know what to type in at the
> apache doc site to find a solution.

The issue is almost ceartinly indexes -- take a good look at your httpd.conf,
make sure there isn't a Directory section that overrrides the one where
you added "Options Indexes".  Also keep in mind that if you have
AllowOverride set, and there is a .htaccess file in any of the directories
leading up to the '/shared' directory, it may be overriding the settings
in the main httpd.conf file.  Since you can read a file in the shared
directory, it's probably not a permissions problem.  What's the URI
you're using?  I've seen problems with Aliases that don't end in a shash
not showing the directory contents -- i.e. if you have:

Alias /public/ "/home/user/public/"

and you access:

http://host/public

you might not see the directory listing, but if you access:

http://host/public/

you will.

HTH

With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available. On Unix, I am
limited by my knowledge.
    -- Peter J. Schoenster <pschon@baste.magibox.net>