Re: [seul-edu] Mail list versus UUNET newgroup

At 11:29 AM 5/18/2002, Doug wrote:
>Stephen C. Daukas wrote:

[big snip]

>Well, as Jan Wilson said, the web email archives can be viewed by thread,
>which gives you pretty much this ability.  Still, I realize that some
>folks prefer the ability to post through the web also, which you can't do
>with an email archive (actually, you can send an email reply to a specific
>message, but it's not quite the same).

I wasn't thinking "web" - I was thinking good old nntp, which can be set-up
to allow postings by a select group, but can be read by anyone who wants to
subscribe...  (One can even use sendmail settings to limited access on some
nntp servers and this could also be setup to do both nntp and smtp at the
same time.)

Taking this approach would actually save bandwidth for those who pay a
high-cost connection fee:  just subscribe to what you are interested in and
avoid downloading the rest.  We did at a former employer of mine years
ago...  Not sure how they do it now, but we had thousands of subscribers
(members) and used email with archive, as well as web, as well as nntp.

Steve