Re: [seul-edu] Quiet time

Dominique Broeglin <broeglin@essi.fr> said:

>        I'm following the list as a passive reader for some days but I'm not
> sure this is the right place for what I have to say... All my apologizes
> if I'm wrong.

No, it's exactly the right place.  Welcome!

>         At the beginning of the year some inverstigations in the way our
> computer system worked has started. It developped in the replacement
> (still in progress) of our main servers by Linux servers. The desktop
> PC's where already on dual boot (Linux/Windows) but mainly used under
> Linux for education purposes. This is changing towards linux use since
> the beginning of the new term in October. Would that story (a little
> enhanced, be of use for you ?)

That's just what I'm looking for.  Please do expand on it, and
also please consider submitting it as a case study at
<http://richtech.ca/seul/casestudy.html>.

>         The investigation also highlighted the urgent need for an information
> system. All administrative tasks were handled mostly by hand (with some
> help from Excel and Netscape composer). About that time I undertook the
> developpment of a real information system for our school. After a long
> part modeling the needs and designing the application I got some help to
> start the developpment. This is underway. But it's a lot of work for a
> poooor PhD student like I am :-(

Take a look at both the "Intranet" and "Administrative"
categories in our software listing <http://richtech.ca/seul/>.
You might find some project that is close to what you're
developing, or that has features you'd like to add.  If you can
adapt their programs to your needs or can borrow portions of
their code for your needs, there's no reason to reinvent the
wheel.  I find that open source software developers are usually
more than happy to see their work used and extended in ways they
hadn't thought of.

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
drloss@home.com     to be relied on in a newspaper.