Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adoptOSS]]]

We use Star Office 5.2 in every school in the Northern Territory
(Australia), about 180 in all. There are some complaints about it being
slow, but the fact that it opens .doc documents is brilliant and most
people are happy enough with it. Most people only want something that
works, they don't care who made it or how. So I think that, despite all
it's problems, Star Office is a good thing. We're using for staff and
students, the kids are using it for word processing, desktop publishing
newspapers, making talking books (with Impress), image editing, etc. Hey,
look at the price and compare with the new XP Office!

The Northern Territory Education Department has some documents about
using Star Office for various things. If anyone is interested I can dig
them up. I think they're PDFs, available from the LATIS (Learning and
Technology in Schools) site somewhere at http://www.latis.net.au

Michael

--
Michael Hall