Re: [seul-edu] Getting started: Forming a coalition to promote free and open toolsand content in education

Dear Doug and Seul Listers,

Replies to Doug's comments below:

Doug Loss <drloss@home.com> said:

> "David M. Bucknell" wrote:
> >
> > Honestly, I think the tasks are, in something like this order:
> >
> > 1. to get a name and a logo (again, I suggest that it not say Linux but
rather
> > include it)
> >
> I'd suggest that an earlier step would be to get strong committments
> from some of the major distributions to support the effort.  Since we'll
> likely be trying to convince managerial types to consider our position,
> it will help greatly to have organizations that they will recognize as
> regular forms associated with us.  Otherwise they'll be leery of
> committing to an amorphous (from their point of view) entity that might
> cease to exist at any moment.

**Yes, I agree that support from commercial interests is needed. I suspect
your experience is telling you this?

Do we wait and see or have the contacts you mentioned come through with
possibilities?

> As for a name, how about Coalition for Open Software in Education
> (COSE)?  Or perhaps Coalition for Open/Free Software in Education
> (COFSE).  If we can come up with a word starting with "E" that means
> software, we could get an acronym of COFEE, which could give an obvious
> logo.

*Name: Cofee is a good idea. COFE might be good enough, though? What do people
think? Possible? Could use the "obvious" logo idea anyway, couldn't we?

Coalition for Free/Open Solution in Education rather than "Software" is my
preference, in order to make "content" part of the bargain. Thoughts on this?

> > 2. to form a group of people willing to work on gathering existing docs
and
> > writing new ones (or intros to existing ones)
> >
> I think this will be fairly easy.  Roger, do we still have any contacts
> with that Open Source Writers group?

*Trying to attract the interest of Open Source Writers group is a great idea,
too. Is this possible?

> > 3. to do the work: gather a list of existing bibliographies of docs and
links
> > and to collate and improve them
> >
> Same as above.

*i.e. the OS Writers Group?