Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adoptOSS]]]

tis 2001-11-27 klockan 23.46 skrev Harry McGregor:
> As far as teacher email goes, I would strongly recomend a web based
> solution, either TWIG, or similar.  The biggest item I can see for the
> educational area is to avoid tying to the desktop in any way shape or
> form.  Now of course Evolution would work with NFS home directories rather
> well, but it does not work from home, or from the airport, or from the
> next school district.

As I see it, it is no problem to combine the two. An IMAP-webb interface
for mail, and evolution for more advanced mail and kalendar. If you use
IMAP from evolution on your laptop, then you can read the mail in the
next schooldistrict, and from the airport.

Otherwise is phpGroupWare
(http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/phpgroupware/) a nice package to use
as on-line calendar. It is good for school use as it handles groups and
support-ticketing. Groups of teachers or students can be useful. Support
tickets can be used for help requests from students etc.

/Stefan