[seul-edu] RE: seul-edu-digest V1 #46

> > Irrespective of the initiative with microsoft, I
> > think it would do us well to spend some time
> > concentrating on training of current school
> > administrators in open source.  Maybe in
> > conjunction with local LUGS.  Maybe we should
> > promote Linux by providing free/low-cost training
> > sessions for school technology admins.
> >
> This is definitely where we need to work hand-in-hand
> with local LUGs.  That's the only feasible way to get
> the school techs up to speed on Linux.  It's
> unreasonable to expect them to learn it by themselves
> in any but a small handfull of instances.
> I'd suggest that an earlier step would be to get
> strong committments from some of the major
> distributions to support the effort.  Since we'll
> likely be trying to convince managerial types to
> consider our position, it will help greatly to have
> organizations that they will recognize as regular
> forms associated with us.  Otherwise they'll be leery
> of committing to an amorphous (from their point of
> view) entity that might cease to exist at any moment.

Gee, Doug.  You make it sound like we need:

  1.  Distro support -and-
  2.  Training support

Red Hat is the one that made the counter-offer to the DOJ, and they just
happen to be good at distros and training.  Seul-Edu has the applications,
some expertise, and interested volunteers.  Red Hat has the professsional
support.  Its a match made in heaven - particularly if you realize that the
monkey is really on Red Hat's back.

  Dear Ms. Mumbltyfratz:

  I am delighted that Red Hat is becoming involved in supporting
  K-12 education.  The Seul-Edu community has been actively
  pursuing implementation of Linux technology in the educational
  setting for several years now.  Our members consist of
  technically literate "interested" volunteers and a number
  of professional educators and educational technology directors,
  many of whom have direct experience implementing Linux and open
  source technology in the classroom.

  We have assembled a number of open source applications
  specifically for educational purposes (such as grade books and
  tutorial software).  We would be happy to assist you in assembling
  a supplemental "Edu-Tools" CD which would be compatible with
  the operating systems you have so generously offered to donate
  to school systems.  We can also make recommendations for
  training options for school system technology administrators and
  educators.

  Sincerely yours,
  the Seul-Edu Community

Just a thought.

Bob
--
Bob Techentin                        techentin.robert@mayo.edu
Mayo Foundation                                 (507) 538-5495