Re: [seul-edu] Forming a coalition to promote free and open tools and content in education

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:54:12PM +0000, Doug Loss wrote:
> Definitely.  But I think we'll need the participation of at least one
> major player in the Linux community to give an air of respectability to
> educational people outside of the Linux community who don't yet quite
> understand how we work.  Think "anchor store" at a shopping mall.  I'm
> trying to get the attention of RedHat right now to see if they'll
> formally come on board with this idea; we need to do the same with
> Mandrake and SuSE too.  Ben Armstrong, you're probably the best
> positioned of any of us to talk to Debian about participation--would
> you?  Does anyone out there have contacts inside SuSE?  I think Pete St.
> Onge, Roger Dingledine, and I can find someone in Mandrake.  And what
> about Slackware?

Doug, I'm just now coming up to speed on this thread, as I have been
both a bit self-absorbed in the care of the newest addition to our family,
and absorbed in my own Debian-related duties.  I will speak to Debian
about participation as soon as it is clear to me what we would be
participating in and what participation could mean to us.

Ben