Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:41:49AM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:
> > Two minor picky points:
> >
> > 1. this is better done as a Debian project than a separate apt-gettable
> > repository
>
> Cool. :)

Is that a "I'd like to volunteer to do that" "cool" or a "that's a neat
idea, let me know when you have something" "cool"? :)

Once upon a time I heard noises about people being interested in doing a
debian-edu group to make sure something like this happens, but nobody took
the ball. :/

> > 2. task-* has been superceded by the new tasksel system, so it would be more like:
> >
> > # tasksel
> > ... select "student" or "teacher" from the list ...
> > # apt-get upgrade
> >
> > (or more typically, tasksel would be run automatically at installation time
> > for a new system, and the person doing the install could then use it to
> > designate the box as a student or teacher system)
>
> Well, what about those of us who have up-and-running Debian systems were
> we wouldn't want to trash what we have, we'd want to be able to install
> educational stuff on top?  (And, for example, _both_ "student" and
> "teacher" tasks...)

Tasksel is a separate package runnable after the initial install.  Nothing
prevents you from running it after the initial install.  It won't wreck
anything.  I was merely pointing out what was the more typical case.

Ben