[seul-edu] Re: CVS

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 02:25:01PM -0700, Reto Stamm wrote:
> I may be able to help if you tell me more about your troubles.
> Once your binaries are in the Path, you set the Environment Variable
> CVSROOT to point to some directory where you want the Repository, then
> say cvs init.
> That should do the trick.
> After that, anyone with CVSROOT and the binary can say cvs co xxx and gets
> module xxx.
> Files can then be added by creating them, then cvs add followed by cvs commit.
> Bells and whistles can be added later, but I hardly find it necessary.
> One important thing is that everyone is in the same group.
>
> Students only need to know about cvs commit, cvs update, cvs add for starters.

This worked like a charm.  Local CVS is now working wonderfully.  However, I
am now trying to set up remote-access so my students can also access the CVS
repository from their houses (using whichever port of the cvs client they
like).

I've followed the instructions in the cvs documentation for getting the
pserver working.  I can connect to the pserver using telnet foo 2401.  After
typing "foo" I get the expected response:
cvs [pserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: foo

So I believe I've set up the inetd.conf properly, including the correct
--allow-root and all that.  But the pserver connection bombs out like so:

cvs -d :pserver:name@foo:/path/to/cvs login
(Logging in to name@foo)
CVS password: *******
Server configuration missing --allow-root in inetd.conf
cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server foo rejected access

I'm sure the password is correct for that username, though I get the same
message even if I supply a nonexistent username.  Also, the path/to/cvs is
the same as in the --allow-root line, but again, I get the same message even
if I supply a nonexistent path.

Any suggestions?  This would greatly improve my students' ability to work on
their group project, since they wouldn't have to be telnetted to the linux box
to work on it (with a multi-second lag, from what I understand).