Re: [seul-edu] open textbooks

Bill Tihen -- Information Technology wrote:

> I wrote one a year and a half ago, because my school had no money to buy me text
> books.  It was based on using windows.  It was helpful to my students, it took a
> lot of effort -- but if every teacher did this eventually, we would have a lot
> of them and teachers could suggest fixes and additions to the maintainer.  My
> idea of the User Docs is precisely this.  We'll see how far we get.
>
> For classics there is the Gutenburg Project.
>
> Bill
>
> Quoting Chris Hedemark <hedemark@bops.com>:
> >
> > The only real problem that I see is getting qualified people to write &
> > maintain the texts.  What is the incentive?

Textbooks....have you looked to see how expensive textbooks are?
Incentives....How about trial copies. I write schedules, annoted texts,
etc. It would be worth my while to send these for free if I got feedback
on the texts. I have ESL materials, notes etc. I would gladly give these
out if my schools name was on the book. The advertising value would be
well worth the money.

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph
Taipei Taiwan

PS. Can't believe I might actually be of some use to this group after
all. We have given up on our computer classes but are developing our
website with Linux. I also, completely gave up on Windows. I am still a
newbie but have found Linux to be much easier and stable than windows.
My computer has been on for 4 months. I never had windows last that long
without a crash.