[seul-edu] Phase 3 and Gentoo

Below are the contents of a recent post I made to the
Gentoo Forums > Portage and Programming forum.

As part of my project to put together a Teachers / Students
guide to installing Gentoo GNU/Linux, I'd like to be able to include
instructions for as many of the final ISO packages as possible.

So I pasted Doug Loss' post regarding phase 3 and Ben Armstrong's
post regarding Debian status of various phase 3 packages. Ebuilds
are fairly easy to make (according to the documentation) and are
based on obtaining and auto-compiling TGZs.

BTW - this has no effect on the distribution which you folks are
putting together. Rather, it's a parallel effort which I hope will
(optionally) supplement your efforts.

Best regards to everyone.

As posted in the Gentoo Portage and Programming forum
Below, I'm reproducing a letter which Doug Loss posted to the SEUL-EDU (Simple End User Linux - Education) mailing list. The folks involved have reached the point of deciding which education oriented applications to include on the ISO distribution which they are putting together.

As you can see from his post, they are going to include all the packages in RPM, TGZ and Debian package format.

Separate from this, I'm writing what I hope will be a true newbies Gentoo Installation Guide. I plan on extending that specifically for teachers and classroom use. I'd like to be able to include in the education version all the same packages as the ISO distribution being worked on by the SEUL-EDU.

I haven't yet had the time to learn how to create and submit ebuilds. I would appreciate any and all help towards creating / completing the package ebuilds which don't already exist. Below Doug Loss' post, I'm also including an excerpt from a related post showing what packages have been selected so far. There are ebuilds already for some of them of course. Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated.

Doug Loss post
(mostly de facto, since they're already in use in schools). It's
time to think about Phase 3, the packaging of the apps.

It's important that we get these apps packaged as DEBs, RPMs, and
TGZs. All three versions of each app have to be at the same
level--we can't be seen as favoring any packaging system over
another. I have an interesting idea about how we can accomplish
that.

As you know, there is a subproject of Debian called DebianEdu. They
already are packaging some educational apps, including ones we will
want to include, as DEBs. They clearly have the resources to do
this properly. I'm pretty sure that their packages are LSB
compliant, too.

There is also a Linux program named alien which freely converts
packages between DEB, RPM, TGZ, and a few other packaging systems.

I think that we should submit Debian RFPs (requests for packaging)
for each of the packages we want to include on our ISO to
DebianEdu. When the packages are created, we can include them in
our ISO image as they stand and also pass them through alien to
generate the equivalent RPMs and TGZs. I think this would let us
get the ISO created much more quickly than if we do all the
packaging ourselves.

Raphael Hertzog of DebianEdu is on this mailing list (I'm pretty
sure), so I'm not proposing anything behind anyone's back here. I
like to think of this idea as both trying to help DebianEdu get a
full suite of educational apps and allowing other distros to gain
access to a similar suite. I'd also like to encourage anyone here
to help DebianEdu do this packaging if you feel capable of it.
They're certainly willing to have the help!

Ben Armstong post
in Phase 3 with respect to Debian:

Package Woody Sarge Sid ITP Comments
------- ----- ----- --- --- --------
Xplns no no no n/a (not a candidate--licensing)
kdict yes yes yes n/a
kmuser no no no no
Koha no no no no
gperiodic yes yes yes n/a
Translation no no no no
Dictation no no no no
WeBWorK no no no no http://webwork.math.rochester.edu/ (licensing?)
SquidGuard yes yes yes n/a
DansGuardian no yes yes n/a
OpenOffice no no no[0] 74715
AUC no no no 101775
Learning Logic no no no no (commercial?)
abiword yes yes yes n/a
gnumeric yes yes yes n/a
kmLinux no no no n/a (not a candidate--full Linux distribution)
MyPHPSchool no no no no
QCad yes yes yes n/a
gnuplot yes yes yes n/a ([1]freeware--freely usable and distributable, but not modifiable. Should we include?)
klogic no no no no
kara no no no no http://www.educeth.ch/informatik/karatojava/kara/index.html (license?)
Gravitational Particle Simulator
no no no no
GtkParticle no no no no
SciTE yes yes yes n/a
Karel no no no n/a
Fle3 no no no
Ayam no no no 161664
SoundTracker yes yes yes n/a
Audacity yes yes yes n/a
Celestia yes yes yes n/a
Star Office 6 no no no n/a (not a candidate--licensing)
KTouch yes yes yes n/a
GEG yes yes yes n/a
MrProject yes yes yes n/a
GIMP yes yes yes n/a (already included in standard distributions)
Dia yes yes yes n/a
Blender yes yes yes n/a

[0] But unofficial debs are available. (google for it.)

[1] Eh? I don't understand this comment. I see in the license this clause:

* Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
* distribute the complete modified source code. Modifications are to
* be distributed as patches to the released version.

So it is fine to distribute modified gnuplot source as patches, which is
how it is done in Debian. This package is DFSG free.

People whom think M$ software is mediocre don't know the half of it.