Re: [seul-edu] ISO--project: A bulk approach

Tarmo Toikkanen wrote:

> On 15.10.2002, 19:57:01, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
> >
> >I think, that ISO is far nearer to success than many of you would
> ever
> >imagined.
>
> Well spoken. If we wait until we have a completely finished product,
> it will easily be years. We need user feedback (from real users, not
> just us testing the stuff) and we should have something visible
> quite soon.

I agree.  I want to have something to hand out to people by June 30,
even if it's not a comprehensive compilation of all the apps we
eventually want to get into the ISO.  As to user feedback, we're getting
user feedback on the individual apps already from the schools that are
actually using various programs (everyone reading this, if you're using
any of these apps in your schools that haven't yet been mentioned, send
us a message about it!); if you mean feedback on the CD itself (the
installer, etc.), we can probably whip up a test ISO with 10-15 packaged
apps and an installer to test how well that works.

> We could call it beta, or we could call it rc1, or whatever. But
> putting together the software repository (available through ftp/etc
> from some server, and also as an ISO image) would allow pioneering
> school admins to get the package, test it and tell us what they
> think works and what doesn't.

That's an interesting idea.  We'd have to make the filesystem on the
server we use to generate the ISO available for ftp download, right?
Otherwise, we'd have to mirror it to whatever ftp server we choose (I'd
guess it'd be ftp.seul.org :-) ).

--
How valuable is my contribution?
Share your feedback at Affero: