Re: [seul-edu] Apps that have passed ISO Phase 2

> Everyone, please post your lists of Linux software actually in
> use at your schools!

We are using a lot of things at the community college. WIMS,
Maxima, Octave, Pari-GP, GAP, Yacas, Postgres, PHP, Apache,
Wikit, PhpPgAdmin, SSH, VNC, Povray, PVM, Pvmpov, Gnuplot,
Geg, bc, Latex, Latex2html, BLAST, ImageJ, XEphem, units,
Gimp, ImageMagick, ee, convert, gperiodic, epte, GRASS5,
GAMESS, Perl, Tcl/Tk, other scripting tools and languages.

Bisbee High School is using WIMS, Star Office, Samba, Squid,
Apache, VNC, Perl, SSH, Webmin, Abiword, Gnumeric, Kali.

The apps that don't come with a distribution and must be downloaded
and installed separately are: WIMS, Maxima, Pari-GP, GAP, MuPad,
Yacas, Wikit, PhpPgAdmin, Pvmpov, BLAST, Geg, ImageJ, XEphem,
Kali.

WIMS is the app that gets used the most since it has a courseware
environment and provides easy-to-use web forms that access the math
programs on the back end. so I hope you can find room for it in the
ISO. It is a server application that requires Apache, but I often
run it on a standalone machine as well.

Gnuplot, Maxima, Gcl, Pari-GP, GAP, MuPad, Latex, Povray are
dependencies for WIMS and can be downloaded from the WIMS site
as tarballs, or rpms.

http://wims.unice.fr/download

GAP is the biggest program in WIMS (~ 22M). I personally like it
because it does some nice computations with sets and discrete math.
But it could be omitted from the ISO and downloaded separately. The
web site for the ISO that someone mentioned would be useful for
information like that.

BLAST is bioinformatics server and can be omitted because
the databases are huge. Maybe there could be a place on the
ISO web site for links to advanced applications like BLAST,
or PVM, that can be used for special honors projects?

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US
prevettl@cochise.edu