Re: [seul-edu] Re: ISO project--a different approach

I am no spokesman for OpenOffice.org, but:-

Ben Armstrong wrote:

 > It is not Openoffice itself that has licensing problems, it is the
 > Sun Java that it currently depends upon in order to build (there is
 > no runtime dependency on non-free Java for the binary package,
 > however).

I think Openoffice.org (it is *OpenOffice.org* not openoffice) installs
and works in a no java mode.  I recall seeing an option while installing
my version.

and, Ben Armstrong wrote:-

 > FWIW, I don't think OpenOffice should be high on the priority list to
 >  get on our ISO.  Isn't it already shipped, or planned to be shipped,
 >  with all the major distros? ....... Additionally, it's pretty large
 > and I'd like to use the space for more specifically educational apps
 > first.

Well, I do not think so.  ( I's subject to correction).  Would'nt it be
a good idea to have a standard word processor in the eductaion
environment?  Looking around, a good and easy to use office suite ( read
-- word processor ) is one of the reasons (home) users are reluctant to
move away from non-free s/w.

Familiarity with OpenOffice.org at a young age is definitely going to
influence in choice of s/w in future, and that why M$ is nowadays
distributing "free" (as in beer) s/w to schools.

And, who says that an office suites are not educational apps?  Kids will
use a wordprocessor to create / write reports, won't they?

Regarding the license of OpenOffice.org, this is what the license.txt
file in my OpenOffice.org installation directory says:-

 > You may only copy and distribute this program consistent with the
 > requirements and distribute this Program consistent with the
 > requirements of either the GNU General Public License (GPL) and GNU
 > Lesser General Public License (LGPL) or the Sun Industry Standards
 > Source License (SISSL), respectively, depending on whether you
 > elected to obtain access to this program via the GPL/LGPL Option or
 > the SISSL Option. Copies of the GPL, LGPL and SISSL licenses can be
 > found http://www.openoffice.org/project/www/license.html

Draw your own conclusions.

Regards,
Mahesh T Pai.