Re: [seul-edu] School Networking Guide (was: need detailed network advice)

Thanks for volunteering, Jeff. I'll be back to you after I've accumulated
more responses. In the meantime, a couple of specific comments below.

At 04:21 AM 9/4/00 -0500, Jeff Waddell wrote [in part]:

>-->        1. your suggestions as to what the scope of the document
>-->                should be (ideally, a proposed list of chapters)
>-->
>
>This should be done by somebody who is either currently going through
>the process or has done so.  I personally have not set up for a school
>setting and therefore am not aware of all the idioscracies involved (it's
>not quite the same as a corporate network (and I've set very few of
>those up).

I would certainly welcome such input, but I would not want to discourage
suggestions from others. There is enough diversity in approaches to school
networking that input from several people who have done it would be
valuable. Also, some acpects, such as the economics of external-connection
options, are going to vary a lot from one country to another.  (

I've been looking at Steve Tonnason's online stuff, and it's been a good
help in starting me thinking concretely about project 1scope. I'm sure Chris
Hobbs' stuff will help too, when I get a chance to re-read it. I recall
there are others on the list who have material of this sort posted; if you
would remind me of your sites, that would be helpful.

>-->I know others find the step of going from a text "manuscript" to a LinuxDoc
>-->or DocBook source file easy or interesting or fun. (I know this because the
>-->preceding comments always elicit responses that if I just "gave it a try",
>-->I'd come to like it. I did "give it a try" and I didn't come to like it, so
>-->that's not the solution.) I need at least one person to volunteer to handle
>-->this step without any help from me (beyond producing the source document in
>-->text format).
>-->
>
>Who are these other's and do they volunteer for this aspect?

If you mean the people who express the opinion that DocBook is "easy or
interesting or fun" ... that response has come to me from people on other
lists who have no obvious way to learn of this project. (No, I won't chase
them down individually; I doubt I even have the e-mail that would let me do
this.) OTOH, Bill has volunteered exactly this sort of help in his recent
postings on this list.

>Is it wise to keep this type document in the seul.edu arena ONLY.  Or
>should it be coordinated with projects such as the LDP?

I don't know. When I look at www.linuxdoc.org, I don't see any obvious way
to "coordinate" an LDP project. If you know of some specific possibility,
could you suggest it (and, perhaps, look into it)?

In practice, I'd probably lean toward getting a group together here, getting
a first draft done, and then talking to people elsewhere about participating
in review and upgrading the document. Talk's cheap, and "coordinating" a
project before it has any content seems to me both boring and too typical of
the approach to online projects that assumes the difficulty is doing the
online part but that creating the content is easy (my own view is the exact
opposite).

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com