[seul-edu] App idea: classroom permissions manager

I am getting closer to putting together a linux writing lab in my 7th grade
classroom.  I'm getting donated hardware (thanks Brown U.), and I'm planning
on making an independent network in my room for 9 machines.  I will be using
NIS/NFS.

One application that I think would be useful is a graphical front end that
would allow me to display and change the group memberships for the students
in an individual class quickly (by clicking a radio button, for example).
This would allow me to have, for example, a group of "finished" students,
who would have permission to play a game, and a group of "not-in-trouble"
students, who might, for example, have theming or other nice privileges.
Having an easy to use front end would allow the teacher to turn on the
gaming or other privileges during the course of a class, as students
finished working.

My intuition is that it would be a fairly trivial program to write, but it
is beyond my skill at this moment.  Anyone intrigued?