Re: docutg: SEUL/edu Standards -- copyright, etc.

Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:

> I just noticed that all our email messages are
> copyrighted to us in the email that was posted to
> seul-edu list.  Should we do the same for the docs or
> leave the copyright with SEUL/edu?
>
> Legal notice?  We still don't have one!
>
> I would like to have some disclaimer before we finalize
> the standards.

Well, that copyright message is just a statement of the facts as they
exist.  Anything you write is automatically copyrighted, even without
any mention of a copyright, unless you expressly waive the copyright.
This was part of the Berne Convention on international copyright law, I
believe.

I'd like to take the position that anything made available to the public
from a SEUL/edu website be copyrighted and licensed under some open
license like the OPL or (although I believe it's not as appropriate for
non-code information) the GPL.  But that's not a fiat, it's an opening
position for discussion.