Re: docutg: (Offtopic?) Filemaker Pro on Linux server Problem

Linux is only the file server.  It has nothing else (at
this point anyway to do with the files).

I think what I will do is take a nearly retired Mac and
use it as a Filemaker Pro server, but still keep the
files on the Fileserver.

<complaint-suggestion>
This seems to be happening more and more to me.  I am
finding it hard to move away from proprietary software,
because they seem to push a closed solution.  Our
accounting database, our main academic database has this
problem, now our admissions database, and our school
librarian has decided to go with a proprietary system so
that they will enter all the records for a certain sum
of money and I am certainly not going to do this.  Even
moving away from our word processor has big challenges.
Do we have a general stragegy for dealing with this?  I
am not finding it practical to replace all the existing
stuff.  Is it possible to work on allowing the
proprietary stuff to work with Linux as if it were a Mac
or Windows Client?
</complaint-suggestion>

Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>:
> Is this a version of Filemaker Pro that runs on Linux,
or is the Linux
> box being used as a Samba, NFS, or netatalk file
server only?  I
> couldn't find any mention of Filemaker Pro for Linux
on a quick search.
> If the Linux box is just a file server, then it's
probably an issue of
> the Windows or Mac Filemaker program locking the file
when it opens it.
> If the actual database code runs on the Linux box,
that's a different
> story.
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 The difference between the
right word and
> Data Network Coordinator  the almost right word is the
difference
> Bloomsburg University     between lightning and a
lightning bug.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Mark Twain

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>