Re: Comments please

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   That's not a bad idea... but meanwhile, we need to get the ball rolling,
> right?

Yes.  I am laid low right now ... still working but not feeling very well
so I am going to be a bit slow this week.  I want to print out some of the
comments here, delegate some things, cut and past some of the ideas into a
document for our group.

> > I think it is not only prudent but probably key to our survival to do so.
> > We can get on board other projects, not within Debian or the Debian
> > community.  Can a person be dispatched to Gnome rather than stand around
> > waiting for Gnome to be released?
> >
>   Are we that interested in gnome?

I ment that as an example.

>   I've taken a look at it, and so far I've discovered that the release I found
> on the gnome home site, is old.  It's at least revisions older than GTK and
> Guile, because there are function calls made to 'gdk_font_free' which doesn't
> exist, but a 'gdk_font_unref' does exist, which is also rhimes with the
> opposite function 'gdk_font_ref'... the version I was able to acquire of Gnome
> is full of mismatches like this, and I was able to get a partially running
> 'phaser_chess' by correcting them, but not much else.
>
>   Is anyone familiar with the status of the Gnome project?

I think the point I was trying to get over is we can watch a project and
shout from the peanut gallery and hope a lot or we can get someone
involved so that our interests will be considered in the development.

>   As the ball starts rolling, I think this is a measure SEUL will be forced to
> duplicate, at least in part.  Debian suffered a lot of 'intent' damage, which
> was the reason Bruce took the measure in question.  Personally, I think he was
> a little late... though not too late.

Yeah, all it is going to take is one "accident".

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org

===
===