Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> How does this differ from just using "make zlilo ; make modules ; make
> modules_install" ?  Other than being longer?  I've never used it since I
> thought it was for building kernel packages, so what is the bennefit
> over the simple make commands?

It differs because you issue only one command that does all of the above
and creates the kernel as a package that is installed by dpkg.  The
install scripts that are run when you install it put eveything where it
belongs and reruns lilo for you.  It reduces the chance of a newbie making
a mistake.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org