Re: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

George Bonser wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Rick Jones wrote:
>
> > How does this differ from just using "make zlilo ; make modules ; make
> > modules_install" ?  Other than being longer?  I've never used it since I
> > thought it was for building kernel packages, so what is the bennefit
> > over the simple make commands?
>
> It differs because you issue only one command that does all of the above
> and creates the kernel as a package that is installed by dpkg.  The
> install scripts that are run when you install it put eveything where it
> belongs and reruns lilo for you.  It reduces the chance of a newbie making
> a mistake.

 Just be careful not to Achieve what OSS did with the sound driver.
Ie.. They
modularized it so It can be all binary and then be confided from
'/etc/conf.modules' ... And now one of the most popular sound chips
doesn't
work properly ( opti82c929 to 931 )
More importantly ... I would like each new Kernel install to save the
files
required by the old one somewhere and have Lilo boot whichever one you
select
from the Lilo MENU ( not typed in as it is now )

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."