Re: SEUL: More GUI Musings

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Dave Close wrote:

> Jay Bloodworth <jay@pathways.sde.state.sc.us> writes:
>
> > Besides, users that
>
> > aren't terribly sophisicated probably need text to tell them what they're
>
> > running.
>

> Anyway, I don't think the implication that users who prefer text are
> not "terribly sophisicated" does anything to improve the attitude of
> potential users.

Point taken.  I like text labels too (usually).  What I should have said
was that most people find text labels useful in the way that you describe,
but that hacker types who tinker with their machines a lot prolly know
what everything does and can afford to do without labels.  You're right,
of course, that calling our target audience unsophisticated isn't terribly
helpful.

I'll try to do better.

Jay

PS - To relate all this back to the SEUL GUI: Given that we need an app
launcer/button bar that supports text labels, anybody got any ideas?  Good
Stuff is a possibility, but most of the configurations I've seen aren't
terribly attractive.  It'd be nice to have something distinctive.