Re: SEUL: Installation steps

Demian Rootring wrote:

> Ok, why don't we make a simple Dos or Win based program in which the
> user can pre-select a kernel from a list of precompiled ones (of course
> tested)?

Who's going to build and test all of these kernels? The number of
permutations is quite literally beyond the scope of the entire Linux
community to perform. And besides, how many CDs does this sucker ship
on? Didn't someone say something about trimming Debian down to one disc?

Besides, it's an inelegant solution. Building a kernel is one of the
most intimidating prospects, to be sure, that a new Linux user can
contemplate. Ironically, it is, quite frankly, one of the simplest
things he or she can possibly perform. Document the options, set up a
front-end, and then just let the stupid thing compile! I don't
understand the trepidation.

> > I agree with that.  I just don't think a kernel compile has to be
> > complicated!  Tell them to start it and play Doom while they wait...
>
> Sounds fair, but wouldn't it be great if the users can choose between
> modules and build-in support?

They already can! That's the point. "make menuconfig" or some such thing
does exactly what you're talking about, more simply than a regular "make
config" might. So that's not simple enough? Develop your own front-end.
The point is, once the configuration is set, the user hits a button and
the compile just goes. No mess, no interaction, nothing. It just goes.

The point is, if the current implementation is broken, fix it. I don't
see that we have to brute-force this thing or find extravagant ways
around it. It's just not that big a deal.

In fact, you can tell that a fix for kernel compiling is in order just
from the number of packages that do configuration. Look on sunsite. It's
a good rule for anything that might be wrong about Linux: look on
sunsite and see how many packages try to fix the problem. The more there
are, the more critical the problem is. Make and short list and start
with those. Those things should be the foundation of SEUL.

MJP
--
Michael J. Peck
Hewlett-Packard, Convex Division