Re: [seul-sci] collection management

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Pérez wrote:

> I need to manage a small tissue/specimen biological collection -- I expect it to grow up to a few thousand items). The requiremenst are:
>
> 1. standard as far as possible (data models, RDBMS files, SQL, XML perharps)
> 2. easy to use GUI (it has to serve Mac users ;)
> 3. usable form Macs (using an X server in the Macs is OK)
>
> All suggestions welcome. TIA.

Unless you're doing really intricate presentation work, you might want to
think of avoiding X servers completely.

This may be a bit of a reach, but why not try to deliver the information
using a combination of MySQL as the database, php to translate between the
DB and the apache, and get apache to present everything to the local network
via a web browser?

The upside of this approach is that it allows you to have pretty much any
client you want, be they macs, Winboxes, Linboxes or other Unices without
any extra work on your part.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Pete