Re: [Computerbank] The future of Linux on the desktop

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:28:05 +0930, "David Lloyd"
<dlloyd@microbits.com.au> said:

> > http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/774/
> >
> > Makes for an interesting read
>
> It makes an opinionated read if you ask me...

Yes David it does make an opinionated read, one that as a Linux newbie I
agree with. I have been fixing computers for 16 years on a hardware level
and all though not a software guru, I don't class my self as totally
stupid. I've only been playing with Linux for a couple of months but
think it is stupid that I have to spend hours searching howtos to get my
scanner or burner working, and even then I find out from someone more
versed in Nix "oh it didn't mention but you have to do this this and this
as well... to get it to work," Don't get me wrong I like Linux but I
don't see how any person can honestly say it doesn't have some way to go
before it is ready for the general user, with no Linux experience.

The OSS community prides itself  on how it is not limited to corporate
decision from a higher power to be (read Gates) yet they cant get
together and just make my scanner work when I plug it in, or just make my
burner work.

Yes Linux has moved forward on the desktop, yes it is starting to make
headway against other systems, but it does have a way to go

and yes this is MY Opinion which makes me an individual..
--
  Mark "Zaney" Clohesy
  Aurally Challenged Australians

This email and any attachments may be confidential.  Any disclosure,
use, storage or copying of this email without the consent
of the sender is strictly prohibited.

Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the
intended Recipient and then delete the email from your
inbox and do not disclose the contents to another
person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.