Re: [Computerbank] The future of Linux on the desktop

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:29, Mark Clohesy wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:28:05 +0930, "David Lloyd"
>
> <dlloyd@microbits.com.au> said:
> > > http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/774/
> > >
> > > Makes for an interesting read
> >
> > It makes an opinionated read if you ask me...
>
> Yes David it does make an opinionated read, one that as a Linux newbie I
> agree with. I have been fixing computers for 16 years on a hardware level
> and all though not a software guru, I don't class my self as totally
> stupid. I've only been playing with Linux for a couple of months but
> think it is stupid that I have to spend hours searching howtos to get my
> scanner or burner working, and even then I find out from someone more
> versed in Nix "oh it didn't mention but you have to do this this and this
> as well... to get it to work," Don't get me wrong I like Linux but I
> don't see how any person can honestly say it doesn't have some way to go
> before it is ready for the general user, with no Linux experience.

This statement is nonsense.
Firstly you are confusing computer users with computer installers or
administrators.
The majority of people who are quite competent to do word processing or use
spreadsheets are no more competent to install Windows or Dos for that matter
than they are to install a Linux distro.

Secondly you speak as if Linux is something monolithic that takes the same
amount of effort regardless of who packages it.

I can only speak from experience on a reasonably modern box. (Duron 850meg)
For ease of installation:
	1. Mandrake 8.2
	2. Windows 98SE
	3. Debian Woody
For stability
	1. Debian Woody
	2. Mandrake 8.2
	9. Windows 98SE - yes it's out of sight behind the other 2.
Maybe it's harder on the older h/w, I just don't know.

The majority of computer users in a corporate environment are completely
shielded from anything other than using the mouse, keyboard, and the "any"
key. And of course if they are running Windows they need to find the reset
button to handle the regular bsod.

The domestic Windows users are in general using oem installs of Windows and
consequently need to pay for the regular re-install of it after the warranty
expires. And Windows does corrupt it's own environment faster or slower
depending on how much the computer is in use.

I'm glad you mentioned scanners my wife has a parport Cannon which is
unseable in any version of Windows because it is not compatable with most
printers, expecially those made by Cannon. As for printers my son had to buy
another because his Cannon printer is unsupported under Windows XP.
I admit they did not have to waste their time looking up HOWTO's. There were
none to be had.

I think that after 16 years in h/w, I can only suppose that you had a fairly
heavy involvement with Windows. Maybe expecting that you will as comfortable
in Linux as in Windows after a couple of months is unreasonable.
Certainly I find that after 9 months experience (very little of it doing
installs on a large range of hardware) I still have a hell of a lot to learn.

Generally when I do not get what I need from a HOWTO it is because I have not
read it with enough attention. These things are not written in the "for
dummies" style, just the opposite. On the other hand, the cd verifying howto
in the Debian Reference has recently been modified as a consequence of a
query of mine on the debian-user list because it was actually deficient.

So if you find a defective howto, why not just weigh in with a correction?
That is how everything in OS was produced.

> The OSS community prides itself  on how it is not limited to corporate
> decision from a higher power to be (read Gates) yet they cant get
> together and just make my scanner work when I plug it in, or just make my
> burner work.

And the average Windows user can do this, come on. Ok maybe the burner but
forget the scanner.

> Yes Linux has moved forward on the desktop, yes it is starting to make
> headway against other systems, but it does have a way to go
>
> and yes this is MY Opinion which makes me an individual..

Yes it can get easier to install - try Knoppix for one example.
But once installed it's no harder than Windows for most jobs.
(DVD ripping possibly excepted).

Regards
Bob