Re: [Computerbank] The future of Linux on the desktop

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:20, David Lloyd wrote:

> Companies such as the one I work for are starting to produce OEM
> installed Linuxes; we provide the guarantee that the Linux we install
> will work with all the components we sell with the computer. I see this
> as a good step and a useful way to get Linux onto the desktop.
>
> :-)

I think that is the way. Windows and PCs never took off in the domestic
market until the corner 'puter shops started selling them with Windows (often
illegally) installed.

Your average user just does not want to be bothered with what it takes to
install either system. And I don't mean that they are too dumb to either,
it's a question of personal priorities.

Hopefully Ms efforts to stop the various piracy techniques will be effective
enough to provide the neccessary financial incentive to switch to something
decent.

Bob