[Computerbank] $5000 equipment grant for volunteer organisations

Who does our grants applications?  Bruce

FYI..

Senator the Hon Amanda Vanstone

Minister for Family & Community Services

Minister Assisting the Prime Minister
for the Status of Women

Extra $5 million to support volunteers

Minister for Family and Community Services, Senator Amanda Vanstone,
today announced an extra $5 million in Federal Government funding
that will help volunteer organisations across the country to buy
equipment for their volunteers.

Senator Vanstone said organisations could now apply for a one-off
International Year of Volunteers Small Equipment Grant of up to
$5,000 to buy equipment specifically to help volunteers in their
voluntary work.

"This extra funding is in recognition of the outstanding work done by
volunteers around Australia and is part of the very successful
International Year of Volunteers 2001 (IYV) Small Grants Program.

"Already more than 2,100 community organisations have benefited from
the Federal Government's $5.4 million IYV 2001 Small Grants Program.
However, the funding to date has rightly had a focus on celebrating
the Year.

"This additional $5 million will help support volunteers in a
practical sense.

"From the feedback we have received in the previous rounds, it became
very clear that many organisations would also appreciate equipment to
make their volunteers' work easier, safer and more enjoyable.

"The Australian people really appreciate the important role
volunteers play in our society and this a token of our appreciation
in this special year.

"At last count, there were 4,395,000 Australians over 18 who were
selflessly giving up their time and effort to contribute to make
Australia an even better place to be. The volunteers and the
organisations behind them deserve all the support and recognition we
can give them.

"The Federal Government is actively participating in the
International Year of Volunteers by providing a total of $14.68
million in grants and events," Senator Vanstone said.

As well as the Small Grants Program and this extra funding, the
Government has:

provided an additional $5 million over 4 years to support
organisations that involve volunteers through Australians Working
Together;

provided over $3 million annually for volunteer matching and referral
services across Australia through the Voluntary Work Initiative and
the Volunteer Management Program;

funded the expansion and development of Volunteering
Australia's 'GoVolunteer' recruitment database and website and;

provided funding for National Skills Development for Volunteers
Program until 2004 ($8.1 million).
"This Government is proud to support people who give so selflessly to
help their community and is committed to continuing that support -
this extra funding is yet another example of how we listen and
respond to the needs of local communities," Senator Vanstone said.

Application packages for the IYV Small Equipment Grants can be
obtained from the website: www.iyv2001.gov.au. or by phoning 1300 653
227 (8.00am-5.30pm EST Mon - Friday). Applications close on Monday 24
September 2001.