Re: Random thoughts - A spanner in the works

> You are forgetting one small factor here - Linux is FREE - DOS/Win 3.11
> most definately isnt. Nor is MSWorks.
>
> regards
>
> Gary Allpike

I agree Gary - but many people dont care too much about licence
agreements "sure borrow my disks - can I have them back
tomorrow"? I know I used to do that (all the stuff on this computer
is legal!!!!!!!)
Peter

> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, The Oracle wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > If I may be permitted to 'throw a spanner'
> > I am using [not mine] a 386sx/40 8M Ram/100M HDD/16
> > colour/sound card/9Meg Swap file
> > .
> > OS DOS 6.22 - WIN 3.1
> >
> > On board
> > a) the usual Win stuff - Notepad, Write, Screen Savers, Card game
> > 	recording stuff, Paintbrush/MS Works and so on including a
> > 	/system directory full of no longer needed files +
> > b) Internet - 28.8 Modem + fast comm prog/Trumpet
> > 	Winsock/Pegusus Mail/WS FTP/Free 	Agent/Iexplorer (now
> > 	trying Opera - less disk)/ICQ [Win32s]
> >
> > All the above works fine reasonably fast (2.6 - 3.0K download)
> > except I do need to reboot with GPF [but not too often]
> > So, my spanner is this: If I can do all the above with a GUI {and
> > many people who will receive a ComputerBank machine may have
> > had some similar experience} WHY should I go and use this "new"
> > "funny" OS called Linux and only use text based progs??
> > Excepting that I want to get out of the DOS/MS envir AND learn a
> > lot more than I know now - If I was given a machine with only text based
> > clients I would probably reformat the HD and put DOS/MS on board. Please
> > do not flame me, this is only to show what could happen if we offer a
> > perceived "lesser" product
> >
> > PS -When I am financial I WILL be buying a new PC and installing
> > Linux.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter

Love to all the Saints,
Peter - The Oracle - ICQ 3856237
http://www.theoracle.nu
The LORD bless you .. keep you and make his face
shine upon you, and be gracious unto you ... and
lift up his countenance upon you, and give you
peace. Num 6:24-26